Tuesday 18 October 2011

All roads lead to politics,huh?

In a country like India where the word 'politics' is synonymous to corruption,the last thing one expects is the politicization of a campaign that raised its head against corruption .Ironic,isn't it? The degradation of the once highly respected word 'politics' itself has been painful for me, always. I still can't believe the fact that Subhash Chandra Bose shares his 'designation' with the likes of Lalu Prasad Yadav,Y.S.Jagan Mohan Reddy ,Biman Bose or Anil Basu. You see,all of them are 'politicians'!
                                                                                  I've been raised in a middle-class family where people believed that even after your dinner is over and you're no more sitting at the dining table,if you're still thinking politics,you're in deep trouble.The politicians of pre-independence era were 'mahapurushs',not 'politicians'.
                                                                                  To be honest,back in my early teenage,I used to be a stupid romantic.I dreamed of living more than an ordinary life,dedicating my life to a cause worth living for,declaring war against the system...But then I grew up.I still try to support good causes in my own way but I don't let politics smear its mud all over my deeds.I'm as apolitical as I can be.I don't support any political party.Most of the time,reading the front page of the newspaper is like reading a satire for me,if you know what I mean.
                                                                                   However,the occasional apolitical movements(initiated by the so called civil society) never fails to grab my attention.Yes,most of the times the way of sending the message is cheesy and heavily Bollywoodi-sed.But still,I feel overwhelmed to see a bunch of people without any political interest,gather for a cause that does or doesn't affect their daily chores.Be it the Rizwanur-Priyanka case,the Mumbai terror attacks,the Nandigram tragedy,the Stephens court accident or anything else.So,when the Anna Hazare movement kick started as one of the most successful spontaneous apolitical movements,I couldn't have been happier. Yes,I DID have ideological differences with Anna Hazare and his team but I had immense respect for the septuagenarian for bringing the whole nation together and more importantly,for being able to make selfish urban people care for something more than their shopping,movies,work and pizza.Needless to say,the recent stand of team Anna on being marked as 'anti-Congress' rather than 'anti-corruption' has saddened me to no end.When I had finally started to believe that politics doesn't actually decide EVERYTHING in this country though it seems to,I've been proven wrong.All roads to all kinds of protest DO lead to politics.The success probably lies in how long they manage to escape the nasty grip of politics.

3 comments:

  1. Deep and great post, I have to agree wiht you..but what can I tell you..I'm italian..you know how our politics are..
    Take a look at my blog, and if you like it follow me, I’ll be waiting for you!

    Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Fabrizia,thank you so much for dropping by!I LOVE Italy!It's my second favorite place in the world(though I've never been there)!I'll surely follow your blog.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just found your blog! :)
    Love the words of your post..
    Maybe you'll have time to visit my blog and follow if you like :)
    Kisses,
    Chiara

    Books in my bags

    ReplyDelete